PRESS ADDRESS ON MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE IN NIGERIA
NON- COMPLIANCE TO THE NATIONAL HEALTH ACT 2014.
FIRST NIGERIAN MEDICAL LAW SUMMIT
Gentlemen of the Press,
The Senate Committee on Health of the National Assembly, Federal Republic of Nigeria in collaboration with First Counsel Solicitors (Medical Law Consultants) is organizing the 1st Nigerian Medical Law Summit.
The Nigerian Medical Law Summit is a one day retreat organized for Chief Medical Directors of public and private hospitals, heads of professional health associations, other leaders in the Nigerian health system and health care professionals.
This medicolegal retreat is crucial as a result of the constant increase in allegations of medical malpractice and medical negligent claims, from public and private hospitals all over Nigeria.
Furthermore, the summit is necessary due high level of non-compliance of the National Health Act by Nigerian health care facilities and professionals.
The summit is aimed at training and repositioning the leadership of the Nigerian health system on how to prevent their facilities from malpractice claims and legal liabilities.
The Theme of this maiden summit is; “Creating a Medicolegal Environment in Nigerian Hospitals; Emphasizing on the Need for Clinical Governance and Quality Care Issues in Patients Management”.
Venue: Shehu Musa Yar’ Adua Centre Abuja
Date: Friday 9th of December 2016
Time: 9 am prompt
Registration however starts at 8am prompt.
- The National Council on Health.
- Permanent Secretaries in the federal and states Ministries of Health.
- Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Chief Medical Directors (CMDs) of all Federal Government Hospitals.
- Chairmen Medical Advisory Council (CMAC) of all Hospitals.
- Provosts of Federal and State Teaching Hospitals.
- Chief Medical Directors (CMDs) of State Government Hospitals.
- States Health Service and Hospital Management Boards.
- Legal Officers of Government Hospitals.
- Chief Medical Directors of Private Hospitals.
- The Nigerian Medical Association.
- Other Medical Associations.
- Health care Professionals.
The Speakers at the Summit are follows:
- Laolu Osanyin LLM, MCLM, CHP; a Nigerian Medicolegal Expert and the first and only African on the Board of Governors of the World Association for Medical Law. He is also a member of the American College of Legal Medicine and the Nigerian Bar Association.
- Prof. Mustafa Danesi: Professor of Medicine and World renowned expert in Clinical Governance and Quality Care Issues.
- Dr. Abdulmimuni Ibrahim: Registrar of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- (Mrs) Ayo Atsenuwa: Professor of Public Law and Dean Faculty of Law University of Lagos.
- Professor Rotimi Jaiyesimi: Associate Medical Director for Patient Safety | Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. Basildon & Thurrock University Hospital | Nethermayne | Essex.
The Summit will be declared open by His Excellency, The President of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Senator Dr. Bukola Saraki, CON, the Guest of Honor of the Summit is Prof. Isaac Adewole, Honorable Minister for Health.
For registration and further details, please contact www.medicallawsummit.com or Organizing Committee on 08023052675 or the Committee Clerk 08033205115.
Senator, Dr. Lanre Tejuoso
Chairman, Senate Committee on Health