When I read that MTN was donating heamodialysis equipment to a series of tertiary healthcare centres across the country – initially I was sceptical.
When Obasanjo’s own VAMED has not gotten any of the equipment to actually serve the people how as MTN going to do this….the detail is really interesting:
1. The decided on what to do and earmarked the funds
2. The asked health centres across the country to put in Expressions of Interest (EOI) – 57 responded.
3. After short-listing some of the applicants, their project team embarked on inspection visits to their premises to verify claims made and ascertain that they will indeed be able to host and competently and judiciously utilize the facilities we propose to install on their premises.
4. They chose 12 public medical institutions drawn from the six geo-political zones of the country.
5. They are not just supplying the core equipment but the consumables, the beds, airconditioners and even generators for electricity!
6. MTN Foundation will bear the cost of the civil works and non-clinical training of the facility staff.
Not only this….MTN Foundation is also unveiled the beneficiary hospitals of the MTN Foundation Mammography Centres – a project currently equipping six public medical institutions in the six geopolitical zones of the country with mammography centres in order to strengthen breast cancer screening capacity in the health sector.
Yes MTN Nigeria made a profit after tax of N78 billion, Yes the quality of their service still leaves a lot to be desired BUT in doing the above the way they have – maybe there is something for our Ministry of Health to learn from MTN on HOW to execute projects…Just maybe!
MTN – Everywhere you go :)!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed people can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has…Margaret Mead