Health Events in Nigeria
To browse for events on Specific Dates, click the category below labelled 'EVENTS IN'. To change the Calendar View (Month, List, Day), click the category labelled 'VIEW AS'.
- This event has passed.
1st National NOMA Conference
September 7, 2016 - September 10, 2016
Oral Health Advocacy Initiative – OHAI AFRICA – in collaboration with Africa Initiative for Health Innovation, Advocacy and Development convenes first National NOMA (Cancrum Oris) conference in Abuja Nigeria this September.
NOMA (Cancrum Oris) is an acute and ravaging gangrenous infection that affects the face. The victims of Noma are mainly children under the age of 6, caught in a vicious circle of extreme poverty and chronic malnutrition who suffer unimaginable pain, discomfort and social exclusion from their communities.
The objective of the conference includes;
- To create awareness of NOMA disease in Nigeria and its devastating effect on the patients
- To advocate for prioritisation of NOMA as a public health problem in Nigeria
- To recruit resources for addressing NOMA and other diseases of extreme poverty in Nigeria
- To highlight the capacity gap in the management, care and support of NOMA patients in Nigeria
- To kick-start the process of adopting NOMA as a neglected tropical disease by the World Health Organisation
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 – Saturday, September 10, 2016
Venue: National Women Development Centre – Central Area, Abuja